Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Some more house photos...





These are some examples of the dated light fixtures in the house that I can't decide if I love or hate. DH is going with the latter, but I'm not sold. It's kind of a moot point since we are broke, but most of these things will fall into that category. I just can't decide if these are cutesy old, or just old. I think maybe once the rooms are painted and decorated, we can get a better idea of whether or not they should stay or go. I also think that we should only replace them if we are getting something MUCH better. Something fabulous.
Another problem area. The kitchen floor. I don't mind this floor that much, but in combination with the awful wallpaper and the icky cabinets/countertops, it's kind of a mess. But it will be a while before we can replace it. Most of the house has hardwoods, so what would be a good flooring for the kitchen? Tile is probably out of our price range for the next fifty years or so, but I'm kind of thinking that a checkerboard vinyl or linoleum might be neat.
Ah, the dining room chandelier. This one stumps me a bit, too. I know it's kind of awful, but I also kind of love it. I mean, they just don't make them like this anymore! My friend A suggested that I paint the brass parts silver, and possibly replace the glass hurricanes. I kind of like that idea. Maybe I'll start by trying to paint, and then go from there. It seems like maybe one of those jobs that starts small but has some hitches.
Ugh, how ugly is this fireplace? It's hard to tell from the photo, but the tile at the top is kind of a pee-pee yellow. What do you even do about that??? Seriously. I have no idea how to change tile colors. The inside blocks (I think they are cinder blocks, but I'm not sure) are also really ugly, but I am not even going to think about trying to change those. For now, I guess we'll just try and put a large cover over it. Some day I'd like to get this fireplace in working order. Preferably before Santa time. We are hoping to get DD two kitties for Christmas this year. But only if we get the house... I also want to put built in shelves on either side of the fireplace, a la the photos way below of the house for sale in the neighborhood. It's just perfect for it. I'm not sure how much of a project that might be. Hopefully we can do it with a little help from friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment